Darn you Strawberry Singh and your epic Second Life memes! I jest of course, but Berry’s latest meme asks a very valid point, what really winds you up about the virtual world we call home?
I have to be honest, this wasn’t an easy meme to respond to.
I was worried I’d put a few noses out of joint, so I have tried to be gentle. I’ve also not included all of my peeves, as some need to be kept closer to home. But it certainly got me thinking, so thanks again Berry! (I wonder what she’ll come up with next?!)
- RUDENESS. Yes I get Second Life is a virtual environment, but that doesn’t mean that you leave your manners at the loading screen. If you’re ill-mannered in real life I’ll think you’re an asshole. If you’re ill-mannered in Second Life I’ll think you’re a special kind of asshole. It takes a certain kind of individual to sit behind their keyboard and type something mean or just plain-rude to someone in a virtual environment.
- ANTLERS. I’ve had just about enough of seeing antlers everywhere in Second Life. Don’t get me wrong, I have seen some absolutely amazing clothing featuring deer motifs, and I’ve also seen some equally amazing jewellery featuring it too. I’ve also seen some fabulous antler chairs, antler light fittings, in fact antler home furnishings galore! I mean, what’s next, an antler toilet brush? It’s like a never-ending weekend at Ted Nugent’s house! If you’re role-playing, I get the need for antlers. If not, just please cease and desist before you drive me into full-on Fenton mode. Before you know it we’ll all be going moustache mad, how ludicrous would that be? Oh, wait, that’s already happened..
- GROUP NOTICES:if you send them, PLEASE for the love of all-that-is-holy, SPELL CHECK them and if English isn’t your best language then please get someone who speaks it to proof-read for you before you send out. I do actually pay attention to group notices, and they often tempt me to go and investigate offers and items. But if you issue them exclaiming things like; ‘Plz check this now!’ without a LM, or something like ‘Hurry! This price won’t last forever’ I will just delete. Pro-tip: Notices should stand out, because they need to attract customers. They require a punchy yet informative title to draw your customer in to opening them and reading them. Therefore be original, be witty, be playful but most of all be bothered to actually tell me what you’re sending the notice out about! Sell me the product that you’re advertising and include a picture or I just won’t bother to read any further. So many people out there must make wonderful creations that I never get to see because their notices are written so shabbily, so just don’t. If you’ve taken care over your creation, take care over your advertising too!
- SOCIALISM. Well, actually no, that’s not the pet peeve, but THIS is:
There are so many furniture builds featuring this particular set of books that you would think we’re all political nerds in Second Life. Obviously the majority of us aren’t, but I bet we all have these books on our shelves! I bet if you search your inventory you’ll find furniture featuring them. It’s not just the lesser known creators that have used these either, some of the uber-established furniture making names have featured them on multiple occasions and it just drives me to utter distraction. I’ve seen carefully constructed furniture utterly ruined by adding these bloody books. If you’ve taken the time and care to develop and build a fantastic, original item then why ruin it by including something that can be seen a myriad of other places on the grid?! The mind boggles. Please stop!
5. BAD DESIGN: OK, this is quite a broad-ranging response, so let me try and clarify it a little bit. I’m talking about ugly, cheap textures deployed upon builds. Build shapes that look dated and six years past their prime. Skins with no depth or shading upon them, and the worst thing, clothing, especially gowns and skirts, made with those cone-shaped prims that legs tend to stick out of in a manner worse than Angelina Jolie at an awards ceremony. Please don’t misunderstand; I don’t want to come over holier than thou on this and I realise that taste is a very personal thing, but I find it hard to believe that with so much design inspiration to be found on the grid people still create what is, quite frankly utter garbage. What boggles the mind even more is that occasionally they expect to sell it….WTF?!
Peeved Kitty wears:
- Florentine skirt by Gato
- Eyeliner by Modish Miana (Linear 1) from ‘The Box’ event
- Lacy Tank by 1 Hundred from ‘The Designers Circle‘ event
- Hair 009 in carrot2 by Eep
- Necklace and Bangles by Maxi Gossamer
- Skin by Rockberry (Paige dark)
- Eyes by Ikon (Ardent Eyes-Pewter M This month’s awesome GROUP GIFT!!)